Buster Posey a draft possibility?

Looks like the kid is a top bat who could play C, corner OF or corner IF pretty easilly, depending on what we might need him to play.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Buster Posey was all over the field for Florida State.

The Seminoles catcher played all nine defensive positions -- and hit a grand slam -- in a 10-0 seven-inning victory over Savannah State on Monday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3393760

I really think this kid will go #1 to the Rays. I can't remember so much hype about one player like this going into the draft. He has gone from top 10 to top pick in just a few weeks. Come on Alvarez! Slide baby Slide! :D

Looks like the kid is a top bat who could play C, corner OF or corner IF pretty easilly, depending on what we might need him to play.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Buster Posey was all over the field for Florida State.

The Seminoles catcher played all nine defensive positions -- and hit a grand slam -- in a 10-0 seven-inning victory over Savannah State on Monday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3393760

Please check out this thread:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63253

The merits of drafting Posey is discussed ad nauseam in this thread. Do we really need to rehash this entire discussion again? :P

Why has Posey's stock increased with the Rays? Is it because of his position, his numbers from this year, or do they honestly view him as the best talent on the board?

IMO, it's because there may not be one player who stands far and above everyone else. I don't agree with that because I believe Pedro Alvarez is clearly better than the other players. However, his injury and being represented by Boras may scare away the D-Rays.

All else being equal, the Rays may be trying to fill an organizational need. Posey is a very, very solid player, but no way would he be considered for #1 overall if he didn't play catcher. His bat just doesn't project enough at other positions.

IMO, it's because there may not be one player who stands far and above everyone else. I don't agree with that because I believe Pedro Alvarez is clearly better than the other players. However, his injury and being represented by Boras may scare away the D-Rays.

All else being equal, the Rays may be trying to fill an organizational need. Posey is a very, very solid player, but no way would he be considered for #1 overall if he didn't play catcher. His bat just doesn't project enough at other positions.

Thanks dude. I was curious why Posey seemed to emerge out of nowhere. Considering the Rays hole at catcher, I suppose he makes sense. However, I'm also a stern supporter of the old saying, "you draft the best talent available, not for need."

Yup, what he said. There are players that overall are pretty close to each other, so it's just a matter of which one's specialty is what you need most. If it's at C, we got Posey for you, if it's a pure bat, we've got Alvarez, Smoak, and with a bit more gamble Hosmer. Looking for some pitching? Matusz is there, even if Crow is slipping a bit. SS? Have you met the Beckhams?

It's an interesting draft, and there is some serious talent to be found in the top 5-7 picks.

Update on the TAM draft situation:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/article499028.ece

"The Rays have scouted [Alvarez, T-Bex, Posey, Matusz and Skipworth] extensively and met with each for in-depth conversations, with character as important as talent. As they get closer, they'll discuss contract parameters to explore a predraft agreement to get their pick playing quickly. (They will also at least keep talking about two others: Missouri RHP Aaron Crow and Fresno State RHP Tanner Scheppers.)

With the abundance of accumulated young talent, there could be a temptation to draft to fill a need at or close to the big-league level (leading to the considerable speculation about Posey).

But Friedman and scouting director R.J. Harrison say that would be exactly the wrong way to approach things. "That's how you get in trouble," Harrison said. "Taking a guy because he can help you real quick is the wrong reason to take a player." (Similarly, they say they won't not take a player because his position is currently filled.)

In theory, they'll take the cliched "best player available." In reality, what they're hoping to do, Harrison said, is take the player "who has an impact on the major-league club sooner than later, and for a long time."

------------------------

The two bolded selections are ideas many O's fans should keep in mind...

"The Rays have scouted [Alvarez, T-Bex, Posey, Matusz and Skipworth] extensively and met with each for in-depth conversations, with character as important as talent. As they get closer, they'll discuss contract parameters to explore a predraft agreement to get their pick playing quickly. (They will also at least keep talking about two others: Missouri RHP Aaron Crow and Fresno State RHP Tanner Scheppers.)

With the abundance of accumulated young talent, there could be a temptation to draft to fill a need at or close to the big-league level (leading to the considerable speculation about Posey).

But Friedman and scouting director R.J. Harrison say that would be exactly the wrong way to approach things. "That's how you get in trouble," Harrison said. "Taking a guy because he can help you real quick is the wrong reason to take a player." (Similarly, they say they won't not take a player because his position is currently filled.)

In theory, they'll take the cliched "best player available." In reality, what they're hoping to do, Harrison said, is take the player "who has an impact on the major-league club sooner than later, and for a long time."

------------------------

Sorry, I thought I did post on this in the other one. Didn't someone just say yesterday that they were leaning towards Posey? I thought it was Gammons or Rosenthal, I went to a lot of sites when I saw it, but I think it was linked through MLBTR. Just didn't seem that important because I thought it was old news.

I'd have to think a guy with a playable bat, and multi-position options should look pretty great to the Rays who seem on the cusp of greatness.

Of all of the things I have read on Posey, how is his handling of pitchers and calling a game? Things I worry about in a potential GG guy that moved from another position.

------------------------

Thanks for the info. TB... Leaning towards a collegian it would seem. Makes sense, as a team would always prefer the nearer-to-ready player (with all things being equal).

Sorry, I thought I did post on this in the other one. Didn't someone just say yesterday that they were leaning towards Posey? I thought it was Gammons or Rosenthal, I went to a lot of sites when I saw it, but I think it was linked through MLBTR. Just didn't seem that important because I thought it was old news.

I'd have to think a guy with a playable bat, and multi-position options should look pretty great to the Rays who seem on the cusp of greatness.

Of all of the things I have read on Posey, how is his handling of pitchers and calling a game? Things I worry about in a potential GG guy that moved from another position.

He's very good behind the plate, but most college catchers don't call their own games. He has strong leadership skills, so "handling" the pitchers should be fine. He'll have to learn to call a game just like Wieters is in HiA this year.

He's very good behind the plate, but most college catchers don't call their own games. He has strong leadership skills, so "handling" the pitchers should be fine. He'll have to learn to call a game just like Wieters is in HiA this year.

I know its hard to find stats on these things, but have you read anything about his baseball IQ per say? I mean, I know he's pitched in relief a bit, so he's got to have at least a slight understanding. I'm just trying to get a better picture on that C/1B/SS debate. I have a feeling he could end up like a better hitting Brandon Inge, moved around to help fill holes.

I know its hard to find stats on these things, but have you read anything about his baseball IQ per say? I mean, I know he's pitched in relief a bit, so he's got to have at least a slight understanding. I'm just trying to get a better picture on that C/1B/SS debate. I have a feeling he could end up like a better hitting Brandon Inge, moved around to help fill holes.

Everything I've heard says he's very coachable and has a strong baseball IQ.

Everything I've heard says he's very coachable and has a strong baseball IQ.

Cool, thanks, it's easy to find hitting stats, it's tough to find intangibles. :)

Still think the Rays should take him, value for the dollar, I think he's worth them taking.

I figured this thread would be about whether the O's should take Posey should he fall to number 4.

While I agree that the O's shouldn't reach for a player just to fill a positional need (cough cough Gordon Beckham cough cough), I don't agree with the view that position doesn't matter at all. We have Matt Wieters in the fold, which hopefully means that we are set at catcher for the next 10-15 years. We should not draft another catcher with the number 4 pick in the draft, even if Posey is the best player left on the board.

I might feel differently if we had taken Wieters out of high school, because there would still be a high degree of uncertainty about Wieters' development. But Wieters is as close to a sure thing as you can get in the draft.

I hope Posey gets picked in the top 3, because that will mean that one more player better suited to the our needs will have fallen to the O's.

Archived